Poetry Contest Rules
The KET Young Writers Contest: February 1 – April 14, 2017.
Winners will be notified no later than May 30th of the contest year.
Rhyming Poetry Scoring Rubric
Non-Rhyming Poetry Scoring Rubric
Eligibility and Entry Guidelines for Poems
- Entrants must be in sixth, seventh, or eighth grade.
- Children of contest judges and KET employees are not eligible.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Only single author poems qualify (no co-authored poems).
- Students may conference with parents, teachers, and/or peers on their work.
- Entries can be fact or fiction.
- Poems and entry forms must be submitted digitally by midnight April 14, 2017. Click here to enter.
- Any failure to adhere to these contest rules may result in disqualification.
- No purchase or donation is necessary.
- KET is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegible entries, or postage-due mail.
- Each entry must be submitted digitally with the required signature of a parent/guardian or a sponsoring teacher, confirming that the poem is original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
- Poems must be uploaded digitally. Please visit the Entry Form page and follow the directions for submitting a poem.
- Text should be typed. Children who cannot type may have their poem typed by someone else.
- Non-English text should be translated and the translated text should adhere to the word count.
- Invented spelling is accepted, but the intended words of the writer should be clear.
- Poems entered should include a title page that lists the title of the poem and the full name of the author.
- All poem elements should be original. Copyrighted names and images are not allowed.
- All poems must be original, new creations. If the student is writing an homage to another work, that work must be mentioned, e.g. “in the style of title by author’s name.”
- For rhyming poems, rhyme should be used throughout the poem so that it is obviously the result of the writer’s plan rather than a random or accidental occurrence.
- All poems should have a minimum of 25 words and a maximum of 250 words.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the” but not the words on non-poem pages, such as the title page.
Return of Entries
Poems must be submitted digitally and will not be returned.
Rights Associated with the Contest
Submission of the Entry Form constitutes permission for KET to use the participant’s name, likeness, biographical information, information and materials contained in the entry form, photographs, and any statements or remarks made about the contest in advertising and promotion without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All entries, and any copyrights therein, become the sole property of KET. By entering, entrants agree to abide by the above stated rules, and warrant that their entry is their original work and does not infringe upon or violate rights of any third party, and grant to KET the right to edit, publish, promote, and otherwise use their entry materials without permission, notice or compensation. No royalties will be paid at this or any time. By submitting an entry and Entry Form, each participant (and parent or guardian) assigns all right, title, and interest in and to the entry and Entry Form to KET and warrants that the participant (and parent or guardian) have the authority to assign such right, title, and interest. In the event that any applicable law requires certain formalities to be fulfilled to effectuate such grant to rights, each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to cooperate with KET to achieve fulfillment of such formalities. By submitting an Entry Form, each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules. Each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to release and hold KET and its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, parent companies, or other affiliated companies harmless from any and all damages, losses, claims and liabilities arising out of participation in the Contest or resulting from acceptance or claiming of any prize hereunder. KET reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate, suspend or otherwise cancel the Contest at any time. Income and all other taxes are the responsibility of the prize recipient. KET is not responsible for any expenses incurred in connection with participation in the Contest.